“Bridges Out of Poverty”
This year Winnebago County CASA will host a Fall Conference to help provide education to our CASA/GAL volunteers and to our community members who are working directly in field related to the topic at hand. Last year, individuals in fields such as education, law, medicine, and social services attended, but anyone interested is welcome to pay the minimal fee to participate.
The Winnebago County CASA Fall Conference will feature renowned speaker, Jodi Pfarr, for Part 1 of her ”Bridges Out of Poverty” workshop. The objectives of this year’s conference are to:
- Develop an accurate mental model of generational poverty and explore the impact of poverty on those served by the organization
- Review research on the causes of poverty
- Explore the hidden rules of economic class
- Examine the impact of poverty on family structures.
- Explore registers of language, discourse patterns, and cognitive issues.
- Define poverty in terms of the resources needed for a stable life.
- Identify ways in which the information can be used to improve relationships and outcomes: individual, organizational, and community
Please save the date September 5, 2013 for Winnebago County CASA ”2013 Bridges Out of Poverty” Fall Conference.
Note: Part 2 of this series is being offered by Kane County CASA on September 6th in Aurora. This presentation will focus on the application of the concepts presented in Part I.